Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shot #1

I had my first of two steroid injections this morning over at the hospital.  I think I've mentioned these injections multiple times before, but in case you missed it, the injections are supposed to help with lung development.  The technical terms for the injections are betamethasone and dexamethasone.  There's real no scientific evidence that the injections will help Stephen because of all the various issues he faces, but it can't hurt, so we went for it.  But I had the weirdest dream last night about the shot.  I guess I was anxious about it today after hearing they administer it in your butt!  In my dream, we were waiting in the main waiting area in the lobby of the hospital and the nurse came out and wanted to give me the injection right in the middle of the lobby and I freaked out.  It's so funny how you dream about something that's on your mind.

But the shot didn't end up being that bad at all.  And it wasn't completely in my tushy.  The nurse gave it to me in my back upper right hip.  Tomorrow's injection will be in the back upper left hip.  They have to be 24 hours apart.  And I got to hear Stephen's heartbeat while I was there, which is always a plus.  And I saw Dr. Khoury when I walked in this morning and he gave me a big hug, which was much appreciated.  It makes you feel good when doctor's recognize/remember you because you know they probably see at least 20 patients throughout a day.

Tomorrow I'll have all sorts of stuff to share since I get my second shot, we give our DNA samples for our genetic testing, and then we have our big 36 week check-up and get to see Stephen!!  Yipee!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment