Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Inspirational Story

I think I might have mentioned this before, but I'm a HUGE Oprah fan.  Billy would call it an obsession, but I wouldn't go that far.  I get to catch-up on my TiVo'd episodes over the weekend when Billy's either golfing or at work, and Saturday was no exception.  One of the shows from October was titled something like "One Family's Tragedy Becomes a Miracle" or something similar to that.  I knew I probably shouldn't watch it because some part of the story was going to be really sad and I would inevitably end up in tears; but I just couldn't help myself.

The episode was about the Coble's, a family of 5 from California - Mom, Dad, and three children, one boy and two girls all under the age of 6.  Driving home from an outing with her children, the Mom was hit from behind by a tractor trailer at full speed.  Two of the children were taken to one hospital, the other child to another hospital and the Mother to another hospital.  Dad was at work that day.  And the unthinkable happened.  All three children died.

Yes, the story is incredibly sad and tragic and horrible and every other emotion you can imagine.  But the show and the story focused on how the couple was able to bond together and try to put the pieces of their shattered life back together.  I know this sounds so stupid, but watching that show, I felt like they were speaking directly to me.  And that maybe God had a hand in making sure I watched that show.  I can in no way relate to the pain they have been through, but I can relate to their feeling of sadness, loneliness, and confusion.  And how important it is that Billy and I are in this together and work to stay that way so that we also don't become a statistic. They talked candidly on the show about counseling and sharing their grief in different ways. Exactly the same things that we've been through.

Now to share the miracle and happy part of the story!  Three months after the accident, the couple decided they wanted to have more children.  They had to go through fertility treatments to do so, but were blessed with not one, not two, but three babies!  TRIPLETS!!  One boy and two girls!  Amazing how God works in mysterious ways!

You can read more about the Coble's Tragedy and Miracle here:  http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Coble-Family-Miracle/1

For me, the Coble's are definitely an inspiration and I hope that I can find a way to share with them how much their story meant to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment