Monday, March 7, 2011

Thank you!

This isn't the proper way to thank everyone, and I promise one day I will finally respond to all the emails and messages and get the much deserved thank you notes written, but in the meantime, I just want to thank every single person who has emailed, texted, called, sent us or Stephen a gift or meal, thought about us, left a comment on the blog, spread our story, and most importantly prayed for all three of us. I kept saying I would get all my notes and responses done when Stephen came home during his nap times, but i think I grossly underestimated my free time! I read every single email and comment and usually share them with friends and family because they are so touching. I can't recall how many times your comments and emails have brought tears to my eyes. And they have definitely kept me going over the past two months when I thought things were just to overwhelming to manage. And trust me (you can ask Bill to back me up on this one), there were lots of those times, I just don't usually share those moments with anyone except for Bill (with the exception of the few times I lost it at the hospital). So....thank you from the very bottom of my heart.

The past few days have been a little challenging as Stephen didn't really want to lay down in his crib or spend more than 5 or 10 minutes in his bouncy seat or swing. But luckily we had lots of extra hands around the house so I could prep his bottles with formula or milk, prep his dialysis machine, his meds, and try to find a few minutes to take a shower in between. Although night time is a whole different ball game. It's tough at night and in the morning because he has to be hooked up to dialysis for 12 hours. And babies definitely don't sleep for 12 hours! But we are trying out different schedules and routines and figuring things out as they happen and making adjustments.

I thought today was going to be really stressful and scary being home alone all day with Stephen since Bill is back at work, but so far, so good. It's 2:46pm and I'm pumping while I write this, watching both Stephen and Mabel nap. Mabel on the floor and Stephen in his bouncy seat next to me on the bed. We just had our "lunch" and Stephen ate like a champ! It's the first time I've ever given him a bottle where he ate so much that I don't have to gravity feed the rest via his g-tube or hook him up to the feeding pump. And the nurse came by at noon to check on us and his lungs sound perfect. A huge relief for Mom and Dad!!

I probably just jinxed myself by saying the day has been way better than expected, but I imagine each day will bring new challenges and triumphs just like in the NICU. Just on a slighty smaller scale (ha ha).

And just to finish off the post on an even brighter note, here are some pictures from over the weekend. This was Stephen's first real bath at home and a group shot with me, Mabel, and Stephen (her new best bud).






















7 comments:

  1. You are doing an amazing job mama! Parenthood is a learn as you go type of job and there are so many ups and downs. The good thing is that all of the tender moments with Stephen will wash away those overwhelmed and tired feelings. He is truly a blessing and my family and I have enjoyed keeping up with your journey through this blog. As my friend would say, "Enjoy being sleep deprived but totally in love!"

    Cheers and best wishes to you and your family!
    The Rossetters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Lindsey,
    Stephen is the most beautiful little man. He looks so different now that he is home from the hospital--so content and happy to be home with Mom, Dad and of course, Mabel. I can only imagine how busy you are getting him on a schedule but you and Billy look so relaxed--Parenthood obviously agrees with you!!! Just take one day at a time and make your only concern Stephen. Everything else is not important and can wait. Let God guide you and we know all will be fine. Keeping you in out thoughts and prayers....
    Love,
    Aunt LuAnn & Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ALL miss you and Bill and Stephen! BUT>.....are so happy you are getting settled into a routine! Love you more than I can say and please know I'm here if you need anything.
    Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all look wonderful. Here's hoping for years filled with smiles like those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a joy and a blessing to see all three of you looking happy and healthy.
    Mary Elizabeth & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay~you have one of the best smiles I have ever seen:) Love it!!!
    Yes, every day will probably be different. But you & Bill are doing a great job. We are so happy for all of you--home at last!
    Take care & love life...one hour, one day, one week at a time..whatever it takes!
    Lynne & Dave Eitel
    PS. Jess is just about the perfect babysitter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linds, soooo happy to see your beautiful smile and how you glow when you're around Stephen. Like Mrs. Eitel said, take things one at a time and all will fall in to place. You truly are an amazing woman and mother!

    Can't wait to see more pics of Stephen enjoying his new home and his Mom, Dad and sister-Mabel!

    ReplyDelete